Dal Ati - S4C Programmes for Welsh Learners
Currently (Aug 2015), there is a series of programmes aimed at Welsh learners who have reached the Intermediate or Advanced level.
- 10.30 Sunday Mornings - Dal Ati - Bore Da: This is a weekly series which guides viewers through some of the items shown on Heno or Prynhawn Da during the previous week, and visits people and places of interest to those learning Welsh.
- 11.30 Sunday Mornings - Dal Ati: Practise your Welsh with this series for learners. It contains various strands which change throughout the year.
The advantage for learners is that these programmes have subtitles available in either English or Welsh (but see notes below). As well as watching them at the time, they are available on the Internet through S4C Clic. Type 'dal ati' into the 'Search for a programme' box and then Enter. Note that the list that shows up under the search box is not a full list of all available Dal Ati programmes, but by pressing Enter the full list with details and dates will be displayed below.
BBC iPlayer can also be used to show the programmes, but only English subtitles are available using iPlayer.
Unfortunately there are a number of problems when trying to watch these programmes, but hopefully things will improve in time.
- Although all of the S4C programmes should be available with subtitles in Welsh or English, occasional ones have been put online without one or both subtitle options. Also occasional programmes have ended up with a blank video and others with the subtitles out of sync with the video. These are sometimes corrected at a later date but sometimes not at all despite being reported using the 'Feedback' option.
- A new version of Clic was launched in July 2015 and, although it works well on PCs, there are a number of shortcomings when used on some Smart TVs, where subtitles do not work properly at all. This may also apply to Tablets and Smart Phones. However, a Dal Ati App is available from App Stores and this may work better. This problem was reported before this version of Clic went live but the old version, which worked properly, was replaced and is no longer available. It is possible that the problem is caused by some limitation in the TV or its graphics card but to date no explanation has been found.
- Scrolling up and down the screen on some Smart TVs can be very slow, particularly with this new version of Clic, presumably due to the limitations of their graphics cards and the large content of the web page.